Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Importance of Church
by Susan Causey, M.Ed., LPC
September 24, 2015

My mom was an ardent evangelist. Literally, on her death bed, one of the last things she said was, “People do not realize, since they have always had churches in America, the Church Age will not always be with us. You must get ‘The Word’ out, because it will soon be gone.”  Her words have stuck with me, especially in these times when churches are being pressured to conform to the world instead of to The Word.

Why is church important?                                           
•  Church is a time to worship God
•  One of the Ten Commandments is “to remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy”
•  Going to church is a time to right our compass, to confess our sins and to make sure we are living as the Lord would have us to
•  A Bible-believing church teaches us the truths of scripture
•  At church we can support one another and “bear one another’s burdens”
•  The Bible teaches us “not to forsake the assembling of yourselves together”
•  Attending church teaches your children that worshiping and serving God is a priority, and they are taught about God and His truths
•  We learn from older and wiser mentors at church

My husband has started collecting Coleman lanterns. One lantern gives a little light, but multiple lanterns magnifies the light. Coming together at church lets our lights shine for the world to see. I found in mother’s treasure chest of important documents and writings two documents on the importance of church. One is written by my mother and the other is from a newspaper article she saved. I would like to share them with you:

The Importance of Church by Joann Peterson Floyd
                There was never a question about whether we would attend all the services at Ailey Methodist Church. My father was the Superintendent of Sunday School for a small town, which shared its pastor with neighboring towns and only had services on 1st and 3rd Sundays. Weekly Sunday School was top priority. No matter where we went, we came back for Sundays to our Ailey Methodist Church. Many years later, I comprehended Biblical truths more fully—that Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit are all one—The Triune God, that history is His Story and that He even planned me and everything about me before I was born. But from childhood, I never doubted that Jesus loved me. I learned this in Sunday School at The Ailey Methodist Church.

Why Sunday Mornings are Important by Father Fred Nijem, Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Warner Robins
                If I only had a dime for all the times I was visiting patients in the hospital and heard the line, “I used to be a Catholic” (or substitute your own denomination)...
I am almost tempted to ask in response, “What has taken its place?”  Usually I just smile and say, “Have a good day.”
                However, one time when I did ask this question, the answer was: “Well, nothing.”
                “Are you sure?” I asked. “Paul Tillich said there is no such thing as an atheist, that we always make something or someone into our god.”
                The person responded (too quickly), “I’m not an atheist. I’m just not religious.”
                Then he said it, the invariable American platitude that even Monica Lewinsky resorted to when Barbara Walters interviewed her: “I’m not religious. I’m more (like) spiritual.”
                Instead of letting it drop, I continued: “Oh, sure you are spiritual, but what takes the place of your religion? What do you do on Sunday mornings?”
                “I sleep in, take my dog out for a walk and sit and read The Telegraph.”
                For a moment I stopped to consider - wouldn’t that be nice? To have a cup of coffee and read The Telegraph instead of getting dressed and going out to hear myself give a less-than-brilliant sermon for the second or third time. But I thought again and realized that it is a joy for me to gather with people for worship on Sunday. It is a real inspiration to see the faith and hope that motivates real people to bring their entire family to a place of worship every week. What courage and dedication to give up what is, perhaps, their only leisurely morning of the week. And you can still get that cup of coffee and walk the dog.
                I admitted that his routine sounded nice, but I persisted, “Whom do you pray to? What do you use as a guide when you make moral choices? If you ever have children, how would you teach them right from wrong? Is good coffee, reading the paper, and walking the dog really enough to form the future generation of leaders? Is this enough if you get sick, or someone you love is suffering, or if you find out you are dying? What gives meaning and purpose in your life?”
                He said, “I’ve never thought about those questions before.”
                Isn’t that a good reason to be in a place of worship—to be challenged by the Word of God, to reflect on the great questions of our time in light of God’s truth? Drawing strength from fellowship is another good reason to be in the pew.
                We are all spiritual to one degree or another. We were created with a hunger and thirst that ultimately is only satisfied by an infinite being. Our ultimate orientation is to the spirit. However, being spiritual is one thing and explicitly directing that tendency toward God in religious faith is yet another.
                I know that religion and churches have many problems and downsides, but it beats basing my life on just walking the dog and a cup of coffee. As someone said, “The enduring power of religious faith is that it can offer direction, integrity, the realization of one’s innate worth and not least, the need to commit to loving service.”

“If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
    and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
    and the Lord’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
    and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
then you will find your joy in the Lord,
    and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
    and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.

(Isaiah 58:13-14  - NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment